Modest gains for most. 10 year yields lower
The European major stock indices are closing mostly higher with the exception of the Spanish IBEX.
- German DAX rose 0.45%
- France’s CAC rose 0.16%
- UK’s FTSE rose 0.12%
- Spain’s Ibex fell -0.16%
- Italy’s FTSE MIB rose 0.44%
- Portugal’s PSI 20 rose 0.45%
In the 10 year note sector yields were lower today:
- Germany 0.47%, -1.7 basis points
- France 0.837%, -4.3 basis points
- UK 1.36%, -4.1 basis points
- Spain 1.41%, -4.1 basis points
- Italy 2.806%, -5.5 basis points
- Portugal 1.945%, -4.1 basis points
Tomorrow the ECB could start the process of unwinding QE buying.
In other markets as London/European traders look to exit:
- spot gold is trading up $2.60 or 0.20% at $1298.62
- WTI crude oil futures got a boost from a surprise drawdown in inventories. It is trading up $.23 or 0.35% at $66.59. The high extended to $66.85 before moving back down
- Bitcoin is down $104 and $6433. The price is trading just below the April low of $6450. The low for 2018 came on February 6 at $5873
In the forex market, the snapshot of the strongest and weakest currencies is showing the USD has moved to the weakest currency of the day ahead of the US FOMC rate decision and press conference. The NZD, AUD and CAD are attracting “risk on” bids – or so it seems (it could also be some profit taking in those pairs too).
- S&P indexes up 3.25 points or 0.12% at 2790.10
- NASDAQ is up 42.74 points or 0.56% at 7746.48
- Dow industrial average is up 11.87 points or 0.05% at 25,331.52
US yields moved briefly higher after the better-than-expected PPI data, but has moved back in the red (albeit small declines).
- 2 year 2.54%, -0.2 basis points
- 5 year 2.804%, -0.5 basis points
- 10 year 2.952%, -0.9 basis points
- 30 year 3.079%, -1.4 basis points
more recommended stories
Iran said to be unlikely to reject idea of 1 million bpd oil output increase – Reuters
Citing an unnamed OPEC source That.
Dollar index continues its march to highest levels since July 2017
Looks to find a firm break.
More from China on trade – will take action to defend its interest
Comments from the Ministry of Commerce.
US Commerce Dept says has granted some exclusions on steel tariffs
Has granted some product exclusion requests.
USD/JPY climbs to session high as stocks rally
USD/JPY up a quarter cent USD/JPY.
Wilbur Ross is testifying to Senate Finance Committee on tariffs/trade. Some highlights.
Some highlights so far Wilbur Ross.
Iran says one way to resolve situation is return to 100% compliance
Iran proposing a solution to the.
Yen Retreats Mildly as Sentiments Stabilized, Sterling Weak ahead of BoE
Re-cap on the yuan devaluation (or should that be a pre-cap?)
This from the Wall Street Journal.
New Zealand Q2 consumer confidence survey: 108.6 (prior 111.2)
New Zealand Q2 Westpac McDermott Miller.